Cleaning of Super Fund site yields 35-year-old Franklin High School newspaper

That Super Fund site would be my desk and cabinet here at the Record. I cleaned both the last two days (yes, it took two days). The oldest thing I found was the Sept. 12, 1977 edition of The Jacket, Franklin High’s newspaper.

For a larger view, click here. 

Some interesting tidbits (at least I thought so) from the paper:

* From a front-page article by student body President Susan Smith: “I feel that I am here to represent you and I won’t be able to do it successfully unless I know what you want. When you elected me to office, you put your trust in me, and I don’t want to disappoint you. The three words you should never forget are: We need you.”

* The Jacket boasts of Franklin’s new facilities, which were paid for with a “massive 8.5 million construction program.” The paper speaks of “bright green and gold hallways replacing the tomato soup colored walls of previous years.” Other improvements were a new student commons with 50 circular tables for dining and a new library that “emulates modern architectural design” and was a “facsimile of the (libraries) at Edison and Stagg.”

* The Tracy Press printed The Jacket. The Jacket’s editor-in-chief was Rena Merrihew, the news editor was Frank Cuevas, the editorial editor was Allan Spain, Jimbo Gauuan was the features editor and Mark Logan was the sports editor.

* The school had a new advisor for its yearbook (“The Chaqueta”), Janet Hardy, who had come from Webster Middle School, where she taught arts and crafts. The editor of The Chaqueta was Wanda Dixon.

* Principal Dean Bettker wrote: “Franklin’s recent history has been written well by the actions of students, staff, parents and community. Each of you is needed. Each of you is important. Each of you will determine the success of Franklin in 1977-78. Working together to write a new era for the Franklin legacy will truly make Franklin ‘Second to None.’”

* The school offered a program called “Homemaking Education.” Sue Hastie and Nancy Selman offered two new homemaking classes in 1977: Home Furnishing Careers and Dressmaking-Alterations. Homemaking continued to offer Child Care, Bake Shop, On Your Own, Creative Arts and Sewing.

* Way back in 1977, before anyone had heard of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, Franklin offered Basic Computer and Advanced Computer Programming. “Fundamental Math classes will have an opportunity to work with the computer,” we learn from The Jacket. “The” computer … as in “the only” computer.

* If you attended Franklin (or worked there) in 1977, see if you recognize any of these names: Norma Beeskau, Sylvia Bello, Donald Bjorkland, Thomas Buzelli, Mabel Choice, David Ellis, Constantine Equinoa, Philomina Formento, Claire Hallaway, Janet Hardy, Lisa Lawrence, Marvin McDow, Dennis Peters, Kathryn Powell, Velva Raleigh, Donald Robb, Nancy Robinson, Thomas Silvaggio, Imelda Siojo, Judy Wiler and Eric Zancanella. All were members of the 1977-78 Franklin staff.

I was a college freshman in 1977. It is a sobering moment when you discover that the best adjective to describe the era during which you were a teenager is “quaint.”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form.