Got some results summing up San Joaquin County’s participation in Coastal Cleanup Day a couple of months back. Looks like the numbers were down just a tad this year.
• 1,348 volunteers picked up 6.2 tons of trash (in 2011, more than 1,500 volunteers collected about 7 tons)
• 170 pounds of recyclable materials were diverted
• 500 volunteers brought their own reusable supplies
• 30 miles of streams and rivers were covered
• Most unusual items: stroller and a hazardous waste barrel that was reclaimed by its owner (organizers believe there was no real waste inside)