March Madness is here 19 days early.
The final night of San Joaquin Athletic Association regular-season boys basketball is here. And before we dive into potential playoff scenarios, here’s a quick look at the hierarchy:
2016-17 SJAA standings
T1. Edison 7-2, 17-9*
T1. Stagg 7-2, 17-9*
3. Chavez 6-3, 13-12
4. Franklin 5-4, 8-15
T5. McNair 1-8, 3-20
T5. Bear Creek 1-8, 4-22
*Clinched Sac-Joaquin Section playoff bids
HERE’S THE RUNDOWN
- Franklin hosts Edison and Chavez hosts Stagg both at 7 p.m. tonight.
- If Franklin and Chavez win: Edison, Stagg and Chavez split the league title three ways and Chavez gets the top seed due to going 3-1 against Edison and Stagg, while Edison would be 2-2 and Stagg would be 1-3.
- If Franklin and Stagg win: Stagg is the outright SJAA champion, Edison is the runner-up and Chavez and Franklin are left tied for the third and final playoff seed. That would mean a play-in game, which Chavez would host since it has a better point differential in splitting two games with Franklin. That game would likely be held on Wednesday, Feb. 15.
- If Edison and Chavez win: Edison would be outright champion for a second consecutive season, and Chavez and Stagg would tie for second place. Chavez would have the No. 2 seed since it would have swept Stagg.
- If Edison and Stagg win: Edison and Stagg split the SJAA championship banner, but Stagg would have the top playoff seed due to a better head-to-head point differential. Chavez would be alone in the spot for the third playoff bid.
CONNECT WITH THOMAS LAWRENCE
Facebook: Thomas Lawrence
Ask a Question: ask.fm/RecordPreps