Yesterday was a great morning in Lodi. There was a new Sac-Joaquin Section commissioner to greet, a tasty sandwich lunch, a media briefing and discussion on playoff changes and more.
My story on Garrison and some important notes ran today, but in case you missed that, here’s a bit more on what’s going on with the SJSCIF.
- Criss-Crossed Date: The section volleyball championships are usually on a Thursday at UC Davis, but the school’s gym was not available this year, so instead they’re Friday, Nov. 21. Unfortunately, that’s the same day as the football semifinals for Div. IV-VII and the quarterfinals for Div. I-III. Hopefully there’s not a conflict for our coverage, but it could make like difficult for several sports media amembers.
- More Rain, More Problems: The section pulled in over $100,000 more in net income for football in 2013-14 than in 2012-13 because of a drier fall season, the section’s media director Will DeBoard said. Makes sense to me – casual fans are scared off by a little water.
- March Madness Incarnate: The football playoff brackets will no longer be seeded by number of wins, but by a playoff committee which DeBoard will play a large part in, he said. This is more like college basketball’s March Madness procedure, with a bit of “eye test,” weighing in costs of travel and trying to avoid league matchups. As our friend Joe Davidson from The Sacramento Bee aptly pointed out, this could help avoid a powerhouse like Loomis-Del Oro, which plays a brutal schedule, from dropping down to a 16 seed in D-I.
- Football Tiebreakers: If it comes down to it for a final couple of playoff spots, with teams with the same record, strength of schedule will be heavily considered: based on opponents’ wins. Last year, Modesto-Gregori and Sacramento-El Camino were 6-4 and left out of the playoffs, DeBoard said.
CONNECT WITH THOMAS LAWRENCE
Facebook: Thomas Lawrence
Ask a Question: ask.fm/RecordPreps
- See more at: http://blogs.esanjoaquin.com/san-joaquin-county-sports-blog/#sthash.4UX7GXFV.dpuf