Getting a subject to give an authentic smile for a photograph can be easier said than done. It mostly involves establishing a rapport with them and making them feel comfortable in front of the camera, again, easier said than done.
Here’s a short video featuring North Carolina-based photographer Tamara Lackey who’s a Nikon ambassador. In the video, which is a part of the Nikon Behind the Scenes series, She explains the techniques uses to get people to open up to her.
At just under 2-1/2 minutes is a short video and it not only has Lackey explaining how she gets a genuine smile from her subjects, but shows her at work as well.
Here are the rules to the latest readers Photo Challenge assignment: Smiles.
1. Entries can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Type in “Smiles” in the subject line.
2. Photos have to be shot between May 12 and May 25. They can be posed or candid.
3. Include your name (first and last), hometown, and the kind of camera/lens you used (eg: “John Doe, Stockton. Canon EOS Rebel Ti with 18-55mm lens”)
4. Please identify person in the photo (name, age, hometown) and where it was taken (eg: “Jane Doe, 12, at her home in Lodi).
5. Please feel free to include any interesting anecdotes or stories on how you took the picture.
6. The deadline for submission is Sunday, May 25. The top examples will be published on Monday, June 2 with an online gallery of all the photos on the same day.