It’s been a short two months since school ended in Lodi Unified. Monday, students return to class. A few notables:
- Transitional Kindergarten starts this year. The program will serve students that just miss the new birthday cutoff for kindergarten. The “young 5′s” will have class at Lawrence Elementary and Podesta Ranch Elementary.
- Construction at a couple schools is still ongoing. At Heritage Elementary in East Lodi, a set of bathrooms will remain closed for ADA upgrades, Assistant Superintendent of Maintenance and Operations Art Hand said. Staff restrooms will be opened for students if necessary.
- New principals: Julie Vaz at Clairmont Elementary; Norm Tanaka at Vinewood; Gary Odell at Reese; Ben Koh at Manlio Silva; Brandon Krueger at Larson; Michael Coughlin at Julia Morgan.
- Some veteran principals moved around too: Scott McGregor to Lodi Middle School; Linda Denman to Westwood Elementary; Dan Faith to Washington Elementary.
- Lodi teachers union leaders – as is the California Teachers Union – are gearing up for the election. The teachers statewide are supporting are supporting Prop. 30 (Gov. Brown’s tax initiative) and opposed to Prop. 32 (an measure that would not allow unions use direct deposit when collecting campaign contributions from its members. This would limit how unions and corporations contribute to campaigns. Unions say corporations have loopholes, though).
- Trustees meet next on Aug. 7.