Greater San Joaquin ASA Softball holds Hall of Fame Ceremony

It was a fantastic evening at the Greater San Joaquin Hall of Fame Ceremony on Saturday, February 20, 2016 at the Lodi Grape Festival Grounds.  Over 100 people attended the ceremony that not only celebrated our new inductees but also presented awards to our 2015 Volunteer of The Year, National Tournament Umpires of 2015 and our 2015 National Champions.

ASA Commissioner Matt Pfeifer served as the Master of Ceremonies of this event.  “Every year I run this program amazes me how many deserving people we have to be put into this Hall of Fame.  However, the best part is watching the interaction of past inductees who get to see each other once a year.  To me, that is really special.”

We had one National Champion this year.  The Men’s 60 and Over Fast Pitch team “Airtronics” won the 60+ Masters event held in Seattle, Washington.

Five umpires were recognized for working National Championships last year.  Alan Blanchard, Ken Castro, Zach Menasco, Gene Jones and Matt Harrington were awarded a special National Championships pin developed by our local association.

Jim Hunter was honored with our Volunteer of the Year award this year.  His dedication to our umpire program is unsurpassed.  He serves as an administrator, treasurer, does payroll, registrations, as well as sits on the Board of Directors.  He accomplished all this while recovering from triple bypass surgery and weeks of rehab.  His service is invaluable and our appreciation does not go un-noticed.

After the Awards, the Hall of Fame Ceremony began:

Vergil Jocson, Umpire

Vergil has been an umpire for Greater San Joaquin for over 30 years,  He has worked six National Championships, 3 of them being Majors.  He is also very involved in NCAA, where he works in 9 conferences and has had several Regional and State Championship assignments.  Vergil, is well respected and never falters from helping new or upcoming umpires from getting better.  Vergil was unable to attend the Ceremony due to prior commitments, however he will be formally honored next year.

Mark Santillano, Player

“Sant” as he is known by his fellow teammates was and still is an outstanding ball player.  He has played on several men’s fast pitch teams in “Open”,“A”,and “B”. Division.  He has been on Several National Championship fast pitch teams in ASA, NAFA and ISC.  He has may All Tournament Team awards, All World awards and All Tourneys.  His dedication to the game and willingness to do whatever it takes to make the team better is what he is known for. “ Sant” hates to lose, and is a fierce competitor.  He is well respected by his competition and has many friends amongst the game.

Dave Dodson, Player

Dave Dodson is the ultimate teammate.  He pitched for many Men’s fast pitch softball teams and was very successful.  A very humble person, Dave likes to say he was an OK pitcher, but he always had the best batting average on the team, hitting .500 going 2 for 4.  Dave played for many teams winning awards and National Championships.  Today, Dave is a co-owner of Lodi Sports Academy which develops young athletes to be successful both in softball and in life.

Bob Regpala,  Manager/Administrator

Coach Bob has been coaching girls softball for over 35 years.  He began in 1980 coaching the Tremors in Lodi, CA.  Bob has coached in over 20 National Tournaments, finishing as high as 2nd place four times.  He likes to say he lost to Lisa Fernandez twice and Jenny Finch once.  His teams finished in the top ten, 11 times.  Bob was the head coach for the USA in the Pre-World games held in Canada in 1985.  He also coached at Lincoln High School where his team was section champions 10 times and given the distinction of being the #1 team in the country four times.  Bob has sent over 250 girls to school on scholarships, which he says is the most gratifying part of his career.  Bob is still involved as the President and coach of the Running Rebels organization in Stockton, CA

Marco Marciasini, Manager

Marco Marciasini has been a player and manager for over 20 years,  His competed with Italian Athletic Club Men’s fast pitch since 1999 where his team qualified to play in National Championships nine times in ASA as well as several NAFA and ISC appearances, winning two ASA, one NAFA and one ISC Championships.  Marco is known by his recruiting skills as well as all the little things it takes to be a successful manager of a Men’s fast pitch team.  As a consummate professional, he has always held his head high and lead by example.

What a great night it was.

The Greater San Joaquin Softball Association is always looking for nominations for it’s future classes.  Anyone can nominate someone.  To nominate someone and have them go before the committee, download the nomination form from our website at www.gsjsa.org and follow the direction for submission.  Nominations are due by Thanksgiving every year for the following year’s class.

Pictured left to right:

2016 Hall Of Fame Inductees:

From left to Right:  Mark Santillano, Bob Regpala, Dave Dodson, Marco Marciasini and ASA Commissioner Matt Pfeifer.   Not Pictured: Vergil Jocson

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form.
  • Categories

• Archives